Welcome to my Blog

Saturday 25 January 2014

My First GD

On Last Thursday, it was 23rd January, I received a mail from BMR Advisors, the leading taxation firm in India, for GD round.
I was very much jubilant at that time. It is my dream workplace.
After going through the mail, I called up all my seniors and peers for advises and suggestions.
The day before my GD I practiced for it a lot, I googled many topics and viewed many youtube videos.

Finally The GD day:
Metro Train was the best route for BMR (Gurgaon DLF Phase 3). In the way to Gurgaon, I received a call from PWC (one of Big4, world's leading auditing firm). Again I was on cloud nine but tried to maintain a normal body posture as I was in a public place. While giving my telephonic interview, the call got disconnected due to network problem in the metro.
After some time I tried to call them back, but got no answer from their side. Finally I decided to first complete my GD with BMR.
This was the first time I traveled in a Rapid Metro Train, more cleaner, more endearing and almost deserted. After leaving Metro, I start looking for Building no. 5, finally after asking several persons I reached to Building No. 5, it was already 2 pm, the GD time and I have to reach 22nd Floor. One thing I want to quote here is that it was first time I was in building with 22 floors.

At BMR Advisors:
Finally on 22nd Floor, it was a very big gallery with around 4-5 offices (all of BMR) and more than 10 lifts.
At reception they gave me an entry form and told me to fill that in the waiting room. In waiting room there were already Six persons waiting for their turn.

Group Discussion:
Finally they called me for the GD. The HR told us to take seats. Before starting GD, he asked if other than CA anyone is in regular college.
Out of twelve contestants in the group Seven Aspirants were from regular colleges, two were from SRCC (best college of Delhi), one from Saheed Bhagat Singh College (Best College of South Delhi), two girls from Gargi College, two other from different colleges. I got very Anxious at that time.
The topic given for the discussion was "You or the Country". The HR gave us 60 seconds to analyze the topic and 10 minutes to discuss. I heard it wrongly as "You are the Country". So all my evaluation got wasted. The HR gave signal to start the GD, out of twelve, it was very much clear only three persons were performing very well. I was in rest of nine.
I missed all opportunities that I thought can work in my favor like Initiating the GD, Making sensible additions to the Discussion, moving discussion to right path and finally concluding the Discussion.
I was totally disheartened at that time. Finally the GD got over and without having further Chit Chat with any of participants I moved outside. At that time I was feeling very Demoralized. I am not expecting any call from BMR for Personal Interview. The day got ended here.

What I learnt for my future GD? Don't hesitate from the other contestant, you all are on the same table because you all are equal.

What I learnt for my life? It is not possible to win every situation but you can always try.

Rohit Jain
frohit@live.in

No comments:

Post a Comment